Uganda Performing Right Society is a society that was formed in 1985 by authors (mainly musicians) to advance the cause of copyright administration in Uganda. It is registered with the Registrar of Companies as a Company Limited by Guarantee having no share Capital, in other words it belongs to all of its members.
UPRS is recognized by the Government as a Collecting Society and it is a Member of the Confederation of International Societies of Authors and Composers ( CISAC ).
UPRS has entered into Reciprocal Agreements with other Societies Worldwide under the auspices of CISAC.
Therefore UPRS protects foreign and local works falling within our repertoire in Uganda while other Societies protect your works (through UPRS) in their respective Countries.
UPRS is representing the rights of over 4,000 members in the Uganda. We license organizations to play, perform or make available copyright music on behalf of our members and those of overseas societies, distributing the royalties to them fairly and efficiently.
We promote and protect the value of copyright while representing all Genres of Music
However by not being a member of UPRS you may be losing millions in royalties collected from various users around the world but which royalties cannot be remitted to you since you are not a member of the World Family of Authors and Composers!
A Country free from piracy and infringement of copyright works.
To promote copyright and promote the value of music.
To fight infringement and piracy of music pakalast.
- To promote the economic and social wellbeing of members.
- To promote and encourage creativity in artistic, literary and scientific works in Uganda.
- To make reciprocal representation agreements with foreign societies.
- To foster understanding between members and users of their works.
- To provide members and any other interested persons with information relating to and neighboring rights.