Music Creators Frequently Asked Questions


1. A copy of the work being notified on a cd.
2. Receipts/ contract agreements for both commissioned works and joint copy right ownerships (group works).
3. Two recent passport size photographs.
4. Photocopy of National Identity Card.
5. A copy of an identity / passport / birth certificate for next of kin (if less than 16 years), he/she should be accompanied by a parent or a guardian who has a National Identity Card.
6. Names of group members & a nominated representative if it’s a group band choir.
7. Death certificate and letter of administration from court of law if applying on behalf of a deceased person.
8. Bank account and mobile money account details of the applicant.
9. Applicant’s URA TIN Number.
10. Each member must have mobile contact.


1. A copy of certificate of incorporation or business name;
2. Works published by the company or business entity on a CD.
3. Copies of contracts/ agreements between the publisher / Producer and the composers/authors/writers;
4. Names and nationalities of all Directors or partners of the publishing Record Label company;
5. Two (2) passport size photographs.
6. A copy of National Identity cards of the representative/s;
7. Company resolution appointing the representative/s;
8. Company resolution to join UPRS;
9. Preferred bank account number of the publishing / Record Label company.
10. TIN certificate of registration.
11. Company Form 20

Question:     What is UPRS main role?
Answer:    UPRS main role is to collect royalties through licensing agreements with music users. These licenses cover all kinds of music use, whether it’s for digital, broadcast or public performance. Royalties are then paid to our members when their music work is performed, broadcasted, streamed, downloaded, reproduced, played in public or used in film and TV.

Question:    Who gets UPRS royalties?
Answer:     A registered Member of UPRS whose musical works has been used in public places using music for business purposes. (That is, When your music receive airplays).

Question:     What are those public places using music?
Answer:    Gyms, Bars, Gardens, Pubs, Beaches, Clubs, Discotheques, Hotels, Restaurants, Juke Boxes, Live Music Performances, Radios, Televisions and similar places.

Question:     How does UPRS split royalties between Songwriters (Authors/Lyricist and Composers) and Publishers?
Answer:    One half is designated for the songwriter(s), and the other half is designated for the publisher(s) or copyright holder(s). If you do not have a publisher, you will also receive the publisher’s share as a writer. (NOTE: In case of an Agreement made, then we follow that agreement)

Question:     When are royalties paid?
Answer:    Members receive royalties every year through three main payouts:
a)    General royalties distribution (Performances in public places like, Bars, Gardens, Pubs, Beaches, Clubs, Discotheques, Hotels, Restaurants, and Juke Boxes among others),
b)    Radios and Televisions royalty distribution,
c)    And lastly Foreign, Online and Sound recording royalties’ distribution

Question:     My co-writer (“Collabo”) is a non-member, what happens to his royalties?

Answer:    UPRS cannot distribute royalties to non-members. In these cases, we keep these royalties until that non-member is registered for membership.

How does UPRS calculate royalties for members whose works have been used (exploited) by commercial music users ?
Royalty payable to the Rightful Right Owners in any declared song is calculated basing on the following:
1. Frequency : The number of plays per song (work) on Radios, Televisions, Events, e.t.c. i.e. The more the song is played, the more the money and vice versa.
2. Duration : How long the song (work) is played in an event, on radio, Television, e.t.c. i.e. The longer the duration of the song, the more the money and vice versa.
NOTE : UPRS has an advanced Membership Management System (WIPO Connect) that Scientifically calculates and Automatically allocates royalty due to each right holder in any Work assigned to the Society once that work has been used by licensed music users.

LOGIN here to declare your newly created works: